Working in Finance
A vibrant, fast-paced environment with a performance-driven team, exciting projects and responsibilities unlike anywhere else. If this sounds thrilling to you, our finance department may just be the right place.
Our finance community consists of 1,200 team members world-wide. We have eight Shared Service Centers, looking after 80 entities across the globe. Because of the way our finance department is organized, you'll get the chance to work in a global, regional or local role. As part of a market organization, corporate function or business unit, you will influence much beyond "just" finance.
Driving innovation through cross-functional and international projects, we take a consultative approach towards other functions and ensure our involvement in the decisions that will impact our performance.
Our people are systematically developed into existing or new roles, and we are proud to cover 77% of our open management positions internally. Within our team, you can be a Finance Business Partner (that's what we call our CFOs), a tool-service Controller or work in a Shared Service Center. If you're straight out of university, you can join us as a Finance Outperformer trainee: there are numerous opportunities.
Let your curiosity shape your career
The finance department offers a broad spectrum of roles, each of them with exciting facets and great opportunities to further develop.
Below, you see a selection of our most common key roles, generally split into the areas of Controlling & Financial Planning and Accounting & Process Management. As a team lead or finance head, you will be responsible for the development of your team, deliver business critical advice and strategic support whilst also performing your operational tasks.
We believe in building upon your strengths, when looking at the next possible step in your career with us. Every career path is unique. Be inspired!
This is just one of many examples of how varied a career path with us could look like. There's no limit to your development: We often see people starting in an Accounting role and then moving on to a Controlling & Financial Planning role, sometimes even out of finance into another department. Let your curiosity shape your career!
Driving results and developing a strong team
Martina Giot, Head of Finance for the Region Middle East, Turkey and Africa, talks about her goals, global working opportunities, successes and challenges during her cross-functional career.
Pascal-Olivier Haussmann, Head of Group Controlling, talks about being an intrapreneur at Hilti, and about his journey from a more operational role on to being in a very strategically oriented global function.
Read more about their journeys in Hilti.
Deliver outstanding results and support us in all the initiatives we are driving: with commitment, passion and the right set of functional skills you will shape the future of finance. There is a large variety of different roles you can embark on, all of them requiring different competencies. Below you can find a small selection described in more detail.
FINANCE BUSINESS PARTNER (CFO)
- Being a strategic leader, you deliver financial results which drive business priorities and own the entire performance management and investment process of the market organization.
- As head of finance for the market and part of the organization's Executive Management Team, you have an integral role in the design and implementation of the company strategy for the entity. Most Finance Business Partners lead a market or sales organization, but you can also lead a business unit or a plant.
- Leading from a commercial and holistic business perspective, you influence, educate, develop and support all leaders and team members to ensure the business performance required to achieve our value creation strategy.
CONTROLLER / ANALYST FP&A
- While supporting our business leaders in shaping and executing the performance management cycle, you also develop and drive a wide range of financial analysis, focused on business trends and evaluation of performance, projections and reports.
- Being the champion of the Profit & Loss, you will bring transparency on the value creation of the various functions, and demonstrate insight through financial analysis techniques, tools and concepts.
- You have an entrepreneurial & strategic mindset, with the drive to make a difference.
- Working on all Credit & Collection activities, you ensure full compliance with corporate and local credit policies.
- You actively contribute to the reduction of Daily Sales Outstanding (DSO) and aged accounts receivables (AR).
- Within your area of scope, you own and manage both the critical collection operations and the entire process of customer credit risk assessment.
- You work either in a General Ledger, Order to Cash or Purchase to Pay function, influence and collaborate with finance and non-finance stakeholders.
- With your functional expertise and knowledge on ERP (Enterprise resource planning) systems and tools, you run part of the operational processes, including monthly and yearly closings.
- You review and keep balance sheet accounts up to date, understanding KPIs (key performance indicators) and knowing how to derive improvements for accounting services & processes.
- For incoming requests from internal and external auditors, you are the contact person.
FINANCE OUTPERFORMER TRAINEE
- Aspiring to a global leadership career, you will gain a well-rounded understanding of multiple functional areas of finance and exposure to senior leaders.
- On your sales experience in the first year of the program, you will gain critical commercial knowledge through a solid understanding of our business model.
- Through your diverse experiences in the first two years, you will engage your stakeholders and lead with a holistic business experience.
- You are excited to participate in different activities, such as a Social Responsibility project and additional training programs with one of the top global Universities.
Our Global Management Development Program is the entry point for the most ambitious: it puts you right in the centre of our customer-focused business model and gives you full responsibility from day one. You'll receive coaching and mentoring from your CFO while you broaden your experience through a range of international management projects in finance. Learn, grow and carve your own finance career, while building a great network of likeminded professionals along the way.
“Both personally and professionally I value the diversity of different cultures – being able to travel and work with people from around the globe. The Finance Outperformer program has allowed me both of these opportunities, and many more.”
- Ryan, Global Finance Trainee
Lifelong learning with the Finance Academy
Our expectations are high and we will do everything to help you nurture your potential and achieve your best.
We are very proud of our own Hilti Finance Academy, which offers role-specific learning programs supporting your onboarding experience and helping your further development.
Alongside our learning principles of learner centricity, experience orientation, just-in-time learning and flexibility of learning, the Finance Academy puts a big focus on peer-to-peer learning: our learning resources are created by colleagues performing in the same role as you.
Through our learning programs you'll have access to a network of peers you can learn from and share your experiences with. Everyone in our finance team has an Individual Development Plan containing strengths to leverage and areas of development to work on. This way, we support your development within your current role, or if you have a target role in mind and we think you're well suited, on your journey to get there.
"A lot of very senior people have invested a lot of time into our FBP-Journey, into our improvement, into our learning. It's great to see that the values are actually in place here and Hilti really values our development going forward.”
Can Turkseven, Finance Business Partner, Turkey